Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Egg allergies

Eggs are in many, many items that you would not expect. Pretty much all commercially baked goodies, pasta, cereal etc. You have to check labels for dehydrated egg additions... also in lots of sauces, ice creams... you have to double check... which is why a simple diet with lots of fresh veggies, fruit and simply prepared meats makes life much easier with someone who has this kind of allergy. We finally ditched most of the starch carbs for snacks, always eggs or peanut traces in them. The kids adjusted and eat apples, grapes, carrot sticks, broccoli to dip, bell pepper strips... etc for snacks.. it blows me away a bit I think I would have starved myself to death if my mom tried to to do this... Thank God for this grace!
A nice baked potato or rice or quinoa dish is fine... but, steer clear of boxed side dishes eggs are often in the ingredient list even if near the bottom. Have been experimenting with the no eggs pastas... can I just say Yuck! Currently working on perfecting a home recipe... still a work in progress... must say however, my first crappy try was better tasting that the store bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment